Monday, December 3, 2012

Works of Art


I sent in my first literary submission over the weekend.  It was required for my poetry class.  To say it was terrifying is an understatement.  I don't handle rejection well, which I need to get over if I have any chance of making it in the publishing world.  I know the first publisher isn't likely to be my last.  And it's hard when people outside my immediate family criticize my work.  Even opinions of extended family make me upset when they tell me something is wrong with my writing.  I sent part of a manuscript for the novel I'm working on to my cousin.  She emailed me back and said it was great, but there were some things she noticed.  Automatically, I put up my defensive wall.  I honestly can only handle criticism from a professor or my dad.  Professors, because that's their job, and my dad, because he's been my biggest fan since day one.  He's read every short story, every poem, every essay, every random piece of writing I've done.  And when he criticizes me, it doesn't feel as much a blow at my ego but rather just a helpful suggestion that I readily take with gratitude.  Maybe it's also because I feel he's the only one qualified enough to make any suggestions :)

Writing is difficult, and what's even more so is trying to make a living off of it.  You can spend years on a piece and have it never even get published.  It's not a guaranteed paycheck at the end of the month.  But honestly, it's worth it to me.  I wouldn't want to do anything else.  Writing has been my passion for years, and I could never give it up just because I might not get where I want to be.  For me personally, knowing I tried my hardest and did everything I could, and that I ultimately FINISHED is what is the best reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment