Monday, December 3, 2012

Tree Traditions


Since my husband sort of had a strange childhood, I've had to introduce him to some traditions my family has for the Christmas season.  One of the greatest things ever was putting up the Christmas tree.  The living room in my parents' house has a 2nd story ceiling, so they decided to get a pre-lit tree to go in there instead of trying to buy a 20-foot tree every year.  Every December, we'd take out the tree in pieces and "fluff" the branches while Dad hooked it all together.  Then, we'd crank up the surround-sound speakers in the room and dance to Christmas music (usually to Mannheim Steamroller) while putting up the ornaments.  And this is just the living room tree.  Because it's the biggest, and takes the most time to decorate, it's become the one we traditionally rock out to on some December night when we're all home.  That particular tree is the "Nutcracker" tree.  

My mom was a ballerina (almost became professional) and my sister and I both danced until we were about 10.  We were in the Omaha Ballet Company's rendition of the Nutcracker several years.  Because of that, we collected tons of Nutcracker ornaments, everything from the Nutcracker/Prince himself, to the Mouse King, Sugar Plum Fairy, and Clara.  Mom always got the character we played.  Ballet had so many wonderful memories for us, and it was always my mom's intent to keep those memories around with special ornaments for the tree.  The tree also has beautiful, intricately painted glass balls, snowflakes, and various shapes of candy (also referring to Nutcracker).  

When my husband and I didn't get a Christmas tree our first year we were married, I was devastated   He made a decent point; that we wouldn't even be in town for Christmas so why have it when we couldn't really even enjoy it.  Nevertheless, after getting to Nebraska and joining in the tree-decorating festivities with my family, I was bound and determined to have a tree the rest of our Christmases together.  So, last year, we got one from the school for about $15.  It looked like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, but it was ours, and we got to decorate it together, and it was marvelous. My husband still thought it was unnecessary, but I insisted, and he obliged.  I still have yet to convince him to join me in going to see the Nutcracker ballet here in Logan, but we'll get there :)

I hope to make this our own Christmas tradition with our future little family, since it was something I loved so much growing up.  I want my kids to have a big tree one day, to jam out to "Deck the Halls," and to enjoy the time we have goofing off.  Something about just being together during the holiday is the greatest blessing of all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment