Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Being a Bendorf

Having to deal with the fact that you're the "biggest" one in your family sucks.  And when I say biggest, I don't mean I'm morbidly obese and everyone else is a buck-ten.  I've just always struggled the most with my build.  Referring back to my previous post, I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never be as small as my mom or sister.  I was "blessed" with the Bendorf genes: small boobs; big butt; large, muscular thighs and calves; and broad shoulders.  Basically, I look like a man.  But then again, so do most of my aunts from the Bendorf side.  They say it's a good thing.  I haven't accepted that.

My sister got the Boardman genes, from my mom's side.  She has no butt (my mom and her always call them 'boy butts,' though I'm pretty sure my own husband has more butt than them), petite builds, and gorgeous, slim legs.  My mom, at the ripe age of 45, still has the best legs of any middle-aged woman I've ever met.  I suppose part of my sister's advantage relates to the fact that she's a cross-country runner; averages about 6+ miles a run.  I have no desire to run, ever, so I guess I can't be too upset with that.  My mom on the other hand, just has great legs because God loved her most.

Then there's my dad.  Before he had a double-hip replacement, he was an exercise king.  Aside from the fact that he's rapidly losing his hair, he does not look like most other 47-year-olds.  He'd run, bike, and/or swim every day.  He wasn't a health freak, but always ate well.  He hasn't been able to exercise as much since his surgeries (especially running- that's a major no-no) but he's working back in to biking and exercising.  He's gained 15 pounds and whines all the time about it.  If he hadn't told me, I'd never have known.

My brother is 13. He's barely started to hit puberty and is a walking stick.  He's got the skinniest little chicken legs and arms.  He's still hoping to fill out with football and weightlifting.  I'm convinced he got the Boardman genes and will be yet again a small sibling.

So when I go back home, it sorta sucks.  Everyone else is small(er).  What about my hubby?  Well, he weighs the same as me and he's 8 inches taller.  Think preying mantis.  He has the most ridiculous metabolism you've ever seen. After not running for an entire year, he went to the beach and ran 5 miles with my sister over the summer.  Yeah.  I always feel self-conscious going back to see them.  Do I look bigger to them?  Have my thighs fattened up?  I know they'd never say anything, but I worry about what they whisper to each other at night when I'm not around.  That's why this year, I'm going to finally be smaller like them.






No comments:

Post a Comment