Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ferocious Fans

This is a slightly more difficult post to write, mainly because it's bashing the school I attend.  And I don't want it to come off in a really negative way - I'm just explaining what I've noticed here compared to what I was used to.


Utah State fans are brutal.  It's that simple. I remember the first basketball game I attended last semester.  I was horrified with how they acted at the end of the game, when we beat the opposing team.  They made chants about their rivals sucking, being losers, that they should go home.  I was embarrassed.  We also know that the President of USU issued a formal apology to BYU after a basketball game that included some rather inappropriate signage.  It's a little humiliating to be known as the school that has the nasty fans, especially when I came from an opposite situation.


Nebraska is known for having some of the best fans.  That's because we don't make crude signs, we don't yell demeaning things to the players, we don't make fools of ourselves (unless it's after the game and people go running around Lincoln like hooligans after ingesting post-win beverages).  The only time I've heard fans boo is when the refs make a bad call.  They don't boo at specific players.  That's horrible sportsmanship.  So when I went to the first USU game, I was stunned.  I couldn't believe how rude some of the fans were being.  Since, then I've only attended one other game.  Not because I don't like my school, or I don't like cheering on my team.  But because the environment is uncomfortable.  I've always been taught to be nice to others.

Sorry, USU.  But your fans are not nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment