Monday, October 22, 2012

Punkin Patch



L-R: Me, Whitney, Chandler, Dad, Mom
I was privileged to fly back home this past weekend and spend time with my family who I haven't seen in over 4 months.  It was a very short visit, so when my parents asked what I'd like to do, I mentioned Vala's Pumpkin Patch.  Vala's, just west of Omaha, is over 200 acres, 55 of those dedicated specifically for the planting of pumpkins.  It hosts piggy races and plays, has tractor, train, and pony rides, a 3-acre corn maze, a couple haunted houses, petting zoo area, and a "Pumpkin Mine."  We also got to dress up in old-fashioned clothing and get pictures taken. On top of all that, it also has countless wood-painted displays for turning your child into a witch or goat, shops with candy, souvenirs, and Halloween decorations, and plenty of old-fashioned barn-lookalikes for grabbing a bite to eat.  There is no better fall activity out there.  It's perfect for any family and any age, since it has activities for everyone.  

While my family and I didn't get the chance to ride out on the tractor to the pumpkin fields (the line was ridiculous), we did manage to find a decent pumpkin near the entrance that seemed appropriate for carving.  It's always been a tradition to carve pumpkins for Halloween; we try to find the toughest designs too.  One year, my dad and I did a Husker pumpkin.  He drew it out by hand.  I mostly just supervised.  This year, we didn't get the chance to dig into one of those slimy oranges.  By the time we arrived back from the farm, it was late and I had to get up the next morning at 4:45am to catch my flight back to Utah.  Roger and I have tried to continue this tradition, although last year, we were lame and didn't carve anything (at least I don't think we did - maybe they molded before the day arrived). There's something about getting into the spirit of Halloween that makes it so much more fun.  I'm not into the beliefs of witches and black magic and whatnot - I enjoy the juvenile part of Halloween that just lets people be someone they're not for a day.             


No comments:

Post a Comment