Friday, October 5, 2012

I saw my breath this morning.

This isn't the first time it's happened so far this fall season, but today I took particular notice to it.  Maybe it was because it was 30-some-odd degrees out when I biked to class and I wasn't wearing a coat.  You tend to notice how cold it is when you don't wear a coat.  


But this led me to thinking about winter.  And how it is quickly approaching.  And how I overheard some people talking a couple weeks back about how miserable it was here in Logan last winter.


Erm.  Apparently, having an average temperature of 40 during the WINTER is miserable to some people.  I find it fabulous.  Like shorts weather.  Not to mention, it hardly snowed last winter.  I hope it snows ten feet for them so they're not disappointed.

Because Utah is so dry, winters here are fairly mild compared to what I was used to.  Not exactly sure how to describe it, but winters in Nebraska are worse than here.  Sure, we get the same amount of snow and it gets very cold there.  But something about the Nebraska air makes winters there awful.  Here, I can step outside in pajamas and snow boots to take my dog potty at 3am and be fine.  You can't do that in the Midwest.  The air is so cold, I swear it freezes you right down to your bones.  It takes forever to get warm after being outside.  And the wind!  Oh, the wind is brutal.  It just hurts!  Blizzards are very common, along with 10 foot drifts along the road.

One thing Utah doesn't have as much as Nebraska is wind chill factor.  Though it might be 25 degrees outside, it's so windy during the winter that most days include a wind chill of 20+ degrees.  That takes it down to 5.  5 degrees outside.

Yeah, that's a little cold.




No comments:

Post a Comment