Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Growing Up Husker



When I first decided my blog should be named "This Baby Don't Bleed Blue," I was referring to what most people think of when they picture Utah: BYU.  BYU's colors, as we know, are blue and white. This being said, I realized that Utah State is also blue.  For the sake of this blog, assume anytime that I refer to 'not bleeding blue' that I am talking about BYU, and it's obvious connection to Utah.  Whether you are from the Midwest, or from Utah itself, anytime the state is mentioned, people automatically associate it with Brigham Young University, the same way Husker football is connected to Nebraska.  Therefore, since I am a homegrown Husker, I do not bleed 'Utah blue.'

Now that we have that all explained, let me give you a brief overview of my life growing up in the Midwest.

I was born in Omaha, Nebraska and moved to Wilmington, Delaware at the age of 6 months.  After spending 5 years there, my family again migrated back west, but to Council Bluffs, Iowa (just to the east of the Missouri river and Nebraska/Iowa border).  We lived in Iowa until I was 12 years old, before my parents bought a house closer to our riding barn in Ponca Hills, the outskirts of Omaha (though technically our address was still Omaha).  My home had three things directly associated with it: trees, grass, and horses.  While most people image Nebraska being a very flat, obnoxiously boring place, we were blessed to abolish the stereotype and live on a hill.  With no corn anywhere in site.  To be perfectly honest, west of Lincoln is a very flat, obnoxiously boring place.  With lots of corn.  And beans.  I understand, and will admit it's not the most exciting of places.  But Omaha has it's own unique terrain, allowing us to be surrounded by trees, luscious green grass, and two horse barns.   

Aside from Nebraska being envisioned as a flat, dead land, it also has another feature connected to it: Husker football.  To live in Nebraska is to be a Husker.  You're not a Husker, you're not a true Nebraskan.  I come from a long-line of proud fans, and it was just expected to become one.  Which is easy after you realize we have the best fans ever.  Seriously.  The way football games are able to pull a community together is amazing.

And THAT is why I bleed Husker RED, not Utah blue.




No comments:

Post a Comment